Tuesday, January 13, 2009

His Heart's Purpose

Almost two years ago I took my first journey to this place. A very dear friend, who knew me well, told me that my journey "would claim my heart and that I would never be the same". At the time I didn't have a true grasp of what that statement would mean. Today it became very clear. It is the culture of this land to give guests a local name when they come to visit. It is a sign of honor and welcome. Typically the name given is one that belongs to someone in the home you are visiting. On my first visit my name was given to me by the son of the chief and I was honored to be named after one of his daughters. Today we had the opportunity to stop by and visit that village.

When we entered the gate it was immediately apparent that something was different. Unlike the last time when we were greeted as soon as we entered the village by everyone who lived there, today there was no joyous greeting. A few of the women were busy washing clothes, most of them were seated under the tree or by one of the homes. Some were quietly talking, most were silent. The men were also seated quietly together. The children continued to play but even that was quieter than normal. None of them ran to greet "Poncho" or "Gabriella" -- something we have come to expect at every place we stop. We joined the small group of women seated under the tree and in a matter of minutes learned that the mother of my namesake had just recently passed away. The family was still in the time of mourning. We sat for some time with very little conversation. Slowly most of the women who had been seated outside the house came and joined us under the tree, leaving the three "daughters" alone at the house. Directly in front of me was the daughter that shared her name with me and somehow I felt a connection.

As we sat there many memories replayed through my mind. I remembered meeting this spry little lady who was quick to laugh and share whatever she had with the guests from America. While the story of hope had been shared with her there is no way to know how it had impacted her life. Our Father asks us to reach out and share our story of hope. The urgency of why we made this journey became so abundantly clear. It isn't any different on this side of the world than it is in my home. My friend's words came back to me -- this journey has affected my heart and I am different than I was. Even as I sat quietly under the tree and prayed blessings on all who were affected by the situation, I also asked for wisdom and resources to reach those who still need to hear the story. Whether you are the one called to come or the one called to stay and support, your role in this battle is important. Don't miss the opportunities that are laid before you.

Lucy