
The last time I wrote I mentioned a ceremony for honoring the dead that we’d been tasked to film. Those plans got scrapped, so we moved our schedules up one day and headed out to the country side to film and photograph “Alfonzo’s” family and life in the country. The trip took six hours by vehicle on a bumpy dirt road. We stopped in every village along the way to greet more of “Alfonso’s” family. The trip takes three days by horse cart, so the six hour drive didn’t seem so bad. We were treated with grandiose hospitality throughout our three day visit. They served special foods, performed a dance, talked and laughed with us during our stay. The family was expecting us to arrive with cameras so everyone was eager to get their picture taken and then see their picture instantly on the camera. Sometimes it was difficult to get pictures of them working and going about their normal day because they always wanted to pose and “be on film”. We toured all areas of the family’s village including a reforestation project, a brick making plant, and the ever exhaustive task of getting water from the well. We captured the family’s day to day routine and documented health care procedures. It was a rewarding experience indeed. “Ricky” is editing the footage now in hopes to get the documentary completed soon.
A trip of this kind involves reaching for God’s comfort in some way. The difficulties come in different packages for different people. As many of you already know, I have a very tender heart for animals. I’m not vegetarian, but picking up meat prepackaged at the grocery store is just fine with me. Life here is not that way, and I knew that going into this trip. (Life on the countryside back home is not that way either.) Upon our arrival the eldest man of the village told us that the family was so excited about our visit that everyone chipped in to provide the best meal they had to offer. A shepherd was sent out to pick the best sheep from the herd and provide it to us for a meal. The entire process for providing meat for eating and nourishment is a ceremonial event and not taken in vain. It’s difficult for someone like me to think in this way, but I hardened up quick and enjoy the food. And yes, I did actually like it. Another night a different shepherd hunted our meal by moonlight. He came back with fox and rabbit. The ladies prepared it with spices and cooked both over an open fire just for us. We ate on the ground by moonlight. I made it through and actually enjoyed the experience, but only with God’s help. Thank you for your prayers in this area. The easy foods for me to enjoy were the starches! Couscous and rice prepared over open flame, and fresh bread baked right from the oven were all delicious. In fact the second day we were there I was greeted with a serving of warm bread for breakfast. I praised God for some food closer to home.
I fell in love with these people in a very short time. It was a little tough to keep the eyes dry as we packed up the truck and said our goodbyes. They waved and gave big smiles as we drove off and continued to do so until our truck was out of site. I have grown in a big way as a result of this experience…in more ways than I can possibly write about today.
I plan to share some funny stories about the trip to the village later in the week. We also plan to post a few pictures to the blog.
Rosa
A trip of this kind involves reaching for God’s comfort in some way. The difficulties come in different packages for different people. As many of you already know, I have a very tender heart for animals. I’m not vegetarian, but picking up meat prepackaged at the grocery store is just fine with me. Life here is not that way, and I knew that going into this trip. (Life on the countryside back home is not that way either.) Upon our arrival the eldest man of the village told us that the family was so excited about our visit that everyone chipped in to provide the best meal they had to offer. A shepherd was sent out to pick the best sheep from the herd and provide it to us for a meal. The entire process for providing meat for eating and nourishment is a ceremonial event and not taken in vain. It’s difficult for someone like me to think in this way, but I hardened up quick and enjoy the food. And yes, I did actually like it. Another night a different shepherd hunted our meal by moonlight. He came back with fox and rabbit. The ladies prepared it with spices and cooked both over an open fire just for us. We ate on the ground by moonlight. I made it through and actually enjoyed the experience, but only with God’s help. Thank you for your prayers in this area. The easy foods for me to enjoy were the starches! Couscous and rice prepared over open flame, and fresh bread baked right from the oven were all delicious. In fact the second day we were there I was greeted with a serving of warm bread for breakfast. I praised God for some food closer to home.
I fell in love with these people in a very short time. It was a little tough to keep the eyes dry as we packed up the truck and said our goodbyes. They waved and gave big smiles as we drove off and continued to do so until our truck was out of site. I have grown in a big way as a result of this experience…in more ways than I can possibly write about today.
I plan to share some funny stories about the trip to the village later in the week. We also plan to post a few pictures to the blog.
Rosa