Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A Look Back

As we are headed towards home, my mind is replaying the many experiences we have gone through over the past 14 or so days.  As a team we have talked about what to share, who should share, and how to share.  It's been such a privilege to be a part of the journey.  Thank you for being our support.  I have learned a lot about the culture here, seen things that have made me laugh, and things that have made me cry.  I have touched the hands of children, women, and men who were eager to share their homes while giving me a glimpse of their lives.  They have touched my heart.  They have asked for nothing from me but a copy of the pictures that we will bring to share with you as well.  

A part of the reason that we have come to this place was to encourage and support.  It's my prayer that I have been able to do that.   It's my desire to see others follow in my footsteps.  Maybe that someone will be you!  On this journey we connected with two groups that we met on our first journey.  

I shared in a previous post about visiting the village of my namesake.  On our way out of town we stopped by that village again.  We were greeted by everyone and so it appears that they have begun the process of "moving on" in the grief process.  As we were gathered on the mats there was a lot of chatter and laughter.  Later "Gabriella" explained that they were recounting our first visit to their village.  They remembered where we sat, what we ate, how we joined them for the midday meal and then came back "late at night" to eat under the moonlight.  (I remember that very well too --- it was my first experience eating something that was "presented" first so that I would know it was the best they had to offer.)  They remembered giving "Ricky" and I our new local names and patted me on the shoulder as they talked and laughed about that.   It was an easy to come and visit back then, it still has an impact today.

In a few days "Poncho and Gabriella" are hosting a medical team from Arkansas.  Yesterday we stopped at the facility they will be using and realized it was one of the medical facilities we saw on our first visit.  That visit (which was done by flashlight because it was so late at night) was the initial contact made.  It was a simple task for us to "tour" the building in 2007.  Once the contact was made, there was a reason to stop and greet whenever "Poncho and Gabriella" were in the area.  Those visits opened up conversations which lead to discovering a need for dental and eye care.  Discovering the need gave the medical team an opportunity to come and provide dental and eye care to the local villages.  

I'm sharing these thoughts because every journey we take in life begins with a single step.  That step may be small or it may feel like a huge leap of faith.  Whatever the case is, that step is never done alone.  It has been orchestrated by our Father who has an even bigger plan in mind.  I have no way of knowing what is happening in your corner of the world.  I don't know what impact, if any, the experiences that Ricky, Rosa and I have shared in this blog will have on your life.  What I do know is that even a small step will have an impact on those around you.  It's my hope that you will be obedient in taking the steps that are laid before you.  

Lucy