Sunday, January 11, 2009

What? I'm Camping?!?!?!?!


Camping is not something that I particularly enjoy. My family did it when I was growing up. Sleeping on the ground in a wet tent (it almost always rained), or even in a trailer wasn't an enjoyable experience for a teenage girl. The other activities related to camping -- specifically taking care of personal hygiene -- were even worse. So as an adult it was something that I successfully avoided at every opportunity. As you might image the trip to the village for a 3 day 2 night camping adventure wasn't in my wish list of things to do in my life. I wasn't prepared for all the "suddenlies" (those moments when our Father intervenes in our day to day activities to reveal His purposes for us) that came along with the experience.

The ride to the village has been well documented by "Ricky" and "Rosa" but I will add that we had many opportunities to "live the culture" along the way. "Poncho" gave me a "fruit" from one of the trees where we stopped to rest. I was told it had a citrus flavor and to eat it like a piece of hard candy. The texture was gummy, not like chewing gum but rather like a piece of sticky taffy. The taste was unique and difficult to describe. It had the sweetness of a raisin but then became bitter. I can't honestly say that citrus ever to came to mind.

We arrived in the village warm and dusty to be greeted by all. We were able to get out the cameras and begin working almost from the moment we arrived. (A dream come true for the team.) It was a challenge to catch them while they were working and not have the posed shots, but we managed to get some very fun pictures. We set up the tents just as the sun was beginning to set and immediately became the focus of attention. It was like putting together a jig saw puzzle for some of us but we managed to get them up, and get our items settled by the time the evening meal was ready. Bedtime followed soon after.

The second day we traveled around the area and gathered data to create a documentary for "Alfonso". We were able to greet at every village and get a close and personal glimpse of their lifestyle. Back at the village that evening we were entertained by the children doing the "Shepherd Dance". I believe that the dance tells the story of how the shepherds leave the village and take their flocks to the field and then return to the village. It's a very important part of their culture and was used in the documentary as well. The instruments they use are a couple of metal bowls with lids turned upside down on the ground. They add other items like plastic water jugs to create a different sound. The use of a spoon or flip flop rather than hands to create the beat adds another dimension. The first evening we were there"Ricky" used his musical skills to join the children as they beat their drums and practiced the dance. There was much laughter that came from the circle of musicians at his gestures. Even more laughter came when the "Toubak" (white man) joined in the dancing as well. It was captured on tape but will probably never be aired in a public setting.

Just like home, the difference between the city life and the country life was very distinct. Country life is more gracious and peaceful existence. They have their daily chores but also find time to enjoy rest. The ladies do sewing and visiting. The men gather for a card game. The young boys sat on a donkey cart and played cards as well although there seemed to be more talking during that game than actual playing.

Our last morning in the village "Rosa" and I were treated to an African cup of coffee. It was an experience that is best explained in person rather than on a blog but suffice it to say, they really like their sugar. As we were taking down the tents in preparation for returning home it occurred to me that the voices and sounds that have become customary were not there. I looked up to see that the entire village had pulled up benches, mats, and blankets closer to our area to watch the process. All the chores, meal preparation, and play had been stopped. We were the focus of the entire village. It was a little disconcerting for a rookie camper.

There is much more to share in future blogs but this is what I learned in my experience. We have a Father who calls us to "go out among them and share the good news". Sometimes that news is in the stories we share. Sometimes that news come in the form of meeting a need. Sometimes He asks us to step outside of our comfort zones to learn what He needs to teach us. Always, there is something to learn for both sides. The Father can take any situation and use it to heal, help us grow, or to teach a simple truth. As I lay down in my tent each night, it was my hope and prayer that I was an instrument He could use.
Lucy