This farming project needs LOTS of prayer right now. I was able to see it today and learn about how it is working. Basically, some volunteers are trying to teach conservative farming methods to the people here. The traditional methods just aren't working. Because the culture says you are more important if you have more land, the resources are poorly used, and each man ends up owning more land than he has time to plant, weed, irrigate, etc. So the volunteers are trying to teach methods that involve using less land, more even distribution of seeds and fertilizer, and a more strategic plan to eliminate weeds.
Unfortunately, culture usually trumps common sense and an open mind. So when a bunch of foreigners come to the village and want to show a better way to farm, it is rejected solely on the basis that it is new. Or they will say, "Well, white people may farm that way. But it won't work for us." So the whole project is generally frowned upon. On top of that, they have already begun planting seeds, and if they don't get consistent rains, the seeds will burn up, and then there is nothing to show for this new farming method. So pray that, although the odds are against a productive harvest this year, God will provide a harvest that is enough to show the benefits of this conservative method. If the people of Venezuela can see that even in bad years the harvest is still greater, they might adopt this new method.
Also pray for the volunteers working in the fields. Almost every day, sometimes twice a day, the people of the village stop by the farming project to tell the volunteers that they are ridiculous and that this new farming method will fail miserably. It is so discouraging o these volunteers to have to deal with this day in and day out.
I also was able to experience another side of the Venezuelan people, when I was allowed into a formal argument. It is one thing for two people to argue. But when there is a major conflict that needs resolved in latin american culture, it involves the whole village. A man was accused of performing animistic sacrifices last week, and it was brought before the village last night, while I was there. The short version of the story is that there was no sacrifice made. But the conflict arose when the man was openly accused in front of everyone, instead of the accuser talking to him in private first. It ultimately turned into a matter of church discipline. Both men were believers, and it was a great way to show conflict resolution within the small church in the village.
If only it didn't take 3 hours last night! I wasn't in bed until midnight or later. And I woke up around 5. So it's been a long day. And unfortunately, right around the time Ernie gets better from his most recent bout with dehydration, I eat breakfast out in the bush, and consume some well water that has put a nasty bug in my system. So pray for both Ernie and I, as we realize that Venezuela can be a harsh place at times.
We have only one more full day here in the capital. Hopefully, both of us will be able to leave our rooms and have the energy to see some of the urban ministry here in Caracas.
With both the fan and AC going strong, I bid adieu to our readers, so that I can go to bed.
-Burt